Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Same Old, Same Old

We are still having very high winds and blowing snow.  We actually had a little new snow today, but it's long gone, blown down the canyon to Nederland.  The snow that's blowing is just being scoured from that big snow we got February 2-3.  According to various articles in the Mountain-Ear, the Nederland weekly, that snow totaled anywhere from 30 to 34 inches although it was what they call an upslope storm that came in from the plains, so perhaps they got more in Nederland than we did here in Eldora.  I only measured 22 inches after the first day and maybe another 4 the next.

The NOAA forecast for tonight is for Blowing Snow with gusts as high as 60 mph (they were as high as 65 mph today).  This is what it looked like:























I captured some ghostly images of snow devils:

 

And used the camera setting to capture movement and got the driven snow:

 

I stepped out on the deck to put out food for the fox and it was like getting hit in the side of the head with a snowball.  The winds will be 55 mph tomorrow, then 38 mph on Thursday.  I have to go to Boulder for a hair cut on Friday anyway so I may just wait it out and do laundry at the same time considering the price of gas, although I see in a February 20 denverpost.com article that Colorado is somewhat protected because "five major pipelines carrying refined gasoline end up in metro-Denver storage facilities."  According to that article, "The average retail gasoline price in Denver..[was] $3.02."  I don't recall what I paid when I filled up in Nederland last week, but it was enough that it does make one try to consolidate trips down the canyon.

Are you curtailing your driving?  Teddee


No comments:

Post a Comment