Monday, February 20, 2012

NOAA? We Need to Talk

NOAA?  This is me here.  We need to talk.  I think you're off your feed.  You're indicating it's supposed to be 20F degrees today here at 39.96°N 105.56°W (Elev. 9282 ft).  I'm freezing my feet off.  My thermometer refuses to climb above 9F degrees.  Yesterday you said there was an 80% chance we'd get as much as three inches of snow overnight.  This morning I couldn't tell it had snowed at all, but that could be because the winds blew it all off.  Now you did get that right.  You're saying gusts as high as 44 mph and I'd say that was accurate just based on living here for most of two winters.


You can't really see the blowing snow in this shot.  It's hard to capture.  Take my word.  Want to play in the snow?  Don't even have to go outside.


And I thought we had this fixed!  It would have helped if I had got the bottom barrel bolt fully shot.  You have to kick the door to accomplish that and I forgot last night when I went to bed.  That was when it was still feeling like there was a chance spring would eventually arrive.  If this snow wasn't so dry, I'd make a miniature snowman right here on the floor.

The forecast for the next three days is "Blowing Snow," "Blowing Snow," "Blowing Snow" with wind gusts up to 55 mph.  Low tonight of 12F degrees, then lows of 22F, 21F and 13F.  Highs of 20F, 29F, Whoa! 33F [heat wave], 25F and 25F.  It's that combination of temperatures and winds that's the killer.

Here's how I'm staying warm:


Fingerless gloves my brother and his wife gave me Christmas before last.


Feeding the beast.  Glad I brought in more wood yesterday evening.  This looks good because I had just added the paper towel on which I'd drained the bacon.  I've had the wood stove burning for four hours and the temperature in the cabin is about 58F degrees at head height but 48F degrees on the floor.

I keep rotating my slippers and my boots on the oven door to get them warm.  I've got socks and leg warmers on but it sure feels good to put your feet down in these warm shoes.



I've got myself sandwiched between this space heater which can only be run at low temperature without flipping the circuit breaker...


...and this space heater...

...which doesn't look as toasty warm as the other one but is, in fact, much more powerful.

Then, there's this:

My lifesaver.  The electric blanket.  I'm sure I'll end up back in bed reading this afternoon just to get my feet warm.

If the wind dies down even for half an hour sometime today, I'm hauling my laundry out to the car and I'll spend tomorrow in Boulder at the laundromat.  Not my favorite task, but it will at least be a respite from the wind.

Is it warm where you are?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment