Friday, February 17, 2012

1320 Steps

The wind had died down this morning and I had to do outside chores.  I will use any excuse not to go out in that wind, so spent about six hours on the computer yesterday and the rest of the day and evening reading.  But, the wood box was empty; the pot, the used dishwater and slop bucket needed to be emptied; and my wet garbage container was becoming a health hazard.  My boots and socks were warm, so no more excuses.


Some hot water and a lot of Clorox later, the health hazards had been addressed and it was on to the wood.

Despite having lows as low as 11F degrees and highs in the high 20s or lower 30s (my icicles have icicles),


that wood stack I made before the great snow had started to emerge so I decided to bring all that wood inside, sweep the snow off the pallet and carry some of the new wood from the pile dumped out behind my car and stack it here.


First, I had to dig my way out again because the winds had drifted my path in.  I think this is the fourth time and sweeping is no longer an option.  You could easily build an igloo out of these snow chunks.  

Before I started carrying wood, I decided to dig out around the right front tire of my car.  The drifts are high enough on either side of my drive that backing through them is like threading a needle and I hadn't done a very good job of threading the needle the evening I got back from Denver. 



After I dug out, got my wheels straightened out and made sure I could get back out onto the road, I addressed the new, snow-covered wood. 


Had to kick some of it out of the snow.  You do this with your heel, or another piece of wood, not  your toe.  Latter hurts.  Made 12 round trips of 110 steps and this is all I have to show for it.


Short arms and not much upper body strength.  Also didn't want to be carrying so much with the treacherous footing that I wouldn't be able to catch myself if I slipped.  It would help to have someone to load me up.  When we were children, my sister and I had the chore of bringing in firewood after school each day.  We'd take turns loading each other up.  You can carry about twice as much.  I'd like to claim that red splotch is a result of blood, sweat and tears, but I believe this is the way Forest Service marks beetle-kill trees.


There's a 50% chance of snow tonight and 60% chance on Sunday night.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some more wood moved before that.  How did you get your exercise today?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment