Thursday, February 2, 2012

Moose and Miracles

Do you believe in manifesting?  I'm not sure whether I do, but sometimes I do find just the exact thing I'm looking for when I'm "junqueing."  You may recall that I was torn about repainting an old bread box that had been in the cabin probably since it was built.  It's painted metal and has two shelves and two doors and we've always used it to store our spices. It's in bad condition, but I was afraid some members of the family might feel sentimental about it and not want me to paint it.  I was tempted to sand it and paint it aluminum. 


The first manifestation took place a couple of weeks after I blogged about it.  Low and behold, there at Goodwill was a vintage bread box, almost identical to this one except it was yellow with flowers.  They wanted $12 for it.  I didn't put it in my cart right away, but was thinking about it as I shopped.  Since someone had already donated it, I could paint it without concern.  Had every intention of going back and getting it, then forgot.  When I went back two days later it was gone of course.  I was getting closer and closer to sanding and painting this one, but when I went to Boulder today and stopped by Goodwill, what did I find but an aluminum bread box with two shelves.  It has such a mirror finish I had trouble photographing it without getting everything in the vicinity in the photo, but I think you can get the idea.





Only one door, but it's almost identical to what I had in my mind and only $4.99.  This is the final step in the pantry makeover.  Needs cleaning up a bit, but that should be a good task for tomorrow since NOAA is predicting some significant snow.

I also was looking for a basket that I could hang over the edge of the wood box for kindling and another really skinny basket I could use for a trash can between the new bakers rack and the wood box and found both of those.  I'm tired and it's late, so I'll have to post photos of those later. 

This has been a big day.  I was just going to go into Nederland to pick up a book the library had borrowed for me on an inter-library loan and on the way spotted some moose really close to the road.  This looks like a moose with a hat on, but that is the hump on the back of the smaller one standing behind!


Moose are rare enough around here that everyone stops to either take photos or just gape. I was the only one on the road this time and these moose were totally unconcerned.  I got all the way up to the fence and they were munching away, then this stupid woman and her dog (Hah!  Could have been me and Lola) came along and they scattered, so I only got one photo.  It was so bright I couldn't see what I had in my view finder.  Does anyone else have that problem?  I feel I need one of those old black hoods photographers used to use. 

After I stopped at the library,  I went on over to the spring and got water.  That's getting really interesting.  I'm going to need crampons if it gets any icier.


Then I decided to run down to Boulder.  On the way back I stopped in Nederland and got groceries and sort of hoped I might see the moose again and, miracle of miracles, more moose. 


Getting on toward dusk so only got one more good shot.  Once I got the car unloaded, some wood brought in and the fox fed, despite the fact that it had started to snow, decided to drive back to Nederland to attend a lecture on Colorado weather at the Wild Bear Mountain Ecology Center to get some answers about the winds here.  More on those in another blog.  I'm to bed.  How about you?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment