Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Diamond Dust

The air here in the Colorado Rockies today was filled with what appeared to be diamond dust.  It sifted down, twinkling in the sunlight, and when it hit the ground it looked like this:













Fake snow!

All of the valleys were filled with this luminescent fog, which I guess was this same snow in the air, and the sun appeared to have a filter over it.  You could look right at, and see the perfectly round outline of, the sun. And why don't I have any pictures of these phenomena?  Because, after I took this photo and got in the car to go to Nederland and stopped, along with several other folks, to take more pictures of moose, my camera battery died!  So, not only did I not get some really good close-ups of the moose in daylight, but I also missed out on the mist and the filtered sun and just some really pretty snow pics.  

So, we'll complete today's blog with a bit on a book I just finished, Savages by Don Winslow, which was, I read, one of the New York Times Top 10 Books of 2010.  It is about pot, not cocaine, so no nice segue from snow to snow.  

This may be a bit R rated for some people, but I enjoyed it immensely.  Mr.Winslow's sense of humor appeals to me and I'm still trying to figure out how he manages to flesh out his characters so thoroughly with so little actual description.  Actions speak louder than words?  I note it is being made into a movie directed by Oliver Stone for release in the early fall.  It will star Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, Emile Hirsch, Demian Bichir, Joel David Moore and Mia Maestro, according to http://www.movienewz.com. 

The two young and very wealthy southern California growers and distributors of designer pot and their girlfriend (yes, that's singular) are engaging and more complex than one might initially expect.  Their battle of wits, augmented with methodologies one of them picked up in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Navy Seal, with the Mexican Baja Cartel that tries to horn in on what had been a pretty laid-back SoCal business--made for great reading and I'm sure will be the basis for some memorable movie scenes.

What are you reading?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment