Monday, February 6, 2012

A Game of Probabilities

I enjoy watching professional football.  People weren't football crazy where I grew up in Northwest Missouri the way I hear they are in Texas, (no "stage" mothers were putting hits out their daughters' cheerleading competition), but it was one of the limited sports available at our small high school, so most people learned to follow the game.

I have also discovered since I have no television that I enjoy listening to professional football.  I also don't get radio reception here in the Rockies, but had been successful throughout the season streaming a radio station (850 KOA) that broadcast the Denver Broncos games and found I could get a lot done while I was listening to the games.

I thought about going somewhere yesterday to watch the Super Bowl, but decided I'd try to find a radio station streaming the game.  I was reading, so it wasn't until half time that I tried.  I pursued several leads, but couldn't find anything that didn't cost, so finally settled for what turned out to be a fun option.  It was http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash.  It was kind of like a board game.  There were nice graphics, a miniature green gridiron, little football helmets with the Patriots and Giants logos representing the team with the ball, a nice white arrow showing which direction the ball was moving and graphics on the arrow that showed how the ball was moved, pass, run, etc.  Then there was a line of type that explained the play:  "BenJarvus Green-Ellis rush up the middle for 7 yards to the NE38.  Tackled by Rocky Bernard." or "Eli Manning pass to the left to Victor Cruz for 7 yards to the NYG37.  Tackled by Kyle Arrington."  I tried reading these in announcer baritone...a couple of times.
 

Under that, there were photos of the various players involved in the play.


I envisioned some harried Sports Illustrated employee inputting the data after each play, which happened quite quickly.  There was a lot more data available if a person wanted to access it...


 ...but I was pretty happy with the basics.  It actually would be a good way to teach someone about the game if they knew nothing about it at all.

Anyway, between plays and during timeouts, I had ample time to study the photos.  And it was this that gave me the idea for today's blog.  Here are some of my "probablies."   I tend to be irreverent, so can't publish them all.  All photos from the NFL website unless otherwise noted.



Eli Manning, #10, quarterback for the New York Giants, probably is still in kindergarten.  This photo would not look out of place in any primary school class photo!

Tom Brady, #12, quarterback for the New England Patriots, probably has more forehead than I do!



BenJarvus Green-Ellis, #42, running back for the Patriots, probably has the best name of any of the active players from yesterday's game.  He also has good eyes and looks as if he's happy with life.

Julian Edelman, #11, wide receiver for the Patriots, probably isn't really a football player.  He just doesn't have the look.  Chess perhaps.

Maybe basketball.  Air Edelman?

Brandon Spikes, #55, outside linebacker (yes, I had to look up OLB) for New England, probably had brow rings at one time.  Those scars are too regular for boxing scars.  Ouch!  Did they get pulled out in play?

Rob Gronkowski, #87, tight end for the Patriots, probably is really a hockey player.  The name, the look...


  Justin Tuck, #91, defensive end for New York, probably really enjoyed sacking Tom Brady in the third quarter.

And, probably, Tom Brady, with 1:04 left in the fourth quarter, and the Giants leading 21 to 17, took a timeout to phone Tim Tebow, #15, quarterback for the Denver Broncos, for some tips on playing under pressure.  Photo:  bleacherreport.com

Did you enjoy the game?  Teddee






No comments:

Post a Comment