Sunday, February 19, 2012

Junqueing Again

Goodwill had a 50% off Saturday yesterday so I used the fact that I needed to get a prescription refilled at Walgreens in Boulder and another one at a Wal-Mart in Erie to stop in my two regular Goodwill stores.  My required Medicare prescription plan (you get dunned each year you opt not to take this once you are old enough to get Medicare) requires that I get my prescriptions at Wal-Mart.  I know.  Even my ophthalmologist thought this didn't smell quite right.  So I'm forced to drive all the way to Erie to get my glaucoma drops at Wal-Mart, but still get my thyroid medication, which isn't covered at all by Medicare because it is natural, bovine, not created by big pharma, at Walgreens where I've had my prescriptions filled since I was in my 20s.   Take it from me, Medicare is really screwed up. 

Anyway, on to happier topics.  I stopped at Goodwill in Boulder first.  You know it's going to be a good day when there's a parking space waiting right in front of the store.
Here are some things I did not get:

This lovely Bavarian porcelain plate, which was so badly damaged that even for the $2 I would have paid on sale, I didn't buy.  I have considered buying such damaged porcelain and perhaps making a mosaic on a tray or something, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to take a hammer and shatter these lovely things into smithereens, damaged as they are.
This hobnail cake stand also didn't make it into my cart just because I have so little storage space.  It would have been $3.50 on sale.  I think this may be Westmoreland English Hobnail, but am not certain.  If so, it was produced from the 1920s through 1983.  Probably worth at least $30.  It was in perfect condition.




This particular Goodwill must have received a donation from an upholstery shop.  The pillow section, which had been pretty slim pickin's for many months, was like an Oriental bazaar.  If I had had my dream brick and mortar shop, I would have had a whole lot of fun here:









This was the tip of the iceberg.  Love all the wonderful trim, or passamenterie, but, sadly, no, even at $2 each, none made it into my cart.

Here is something I did buy. 


I really have a thing for iron, a predilection I only question when I have to pack up and move.  I couldn't really tell what this was, but loved it at first sight and, at $1.50 on sale, I knew it was coming home with me.  It won't stand, so I think it is a hook.


I also drove out to the Goodwill in Lafayette.  I'll show you what I bought there tomorrow.  Did you have a "thrifty" weekend?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment