Thursday, March 22, 2012

What a Day!

The weather today was absolutely gorgeous.  NOAA said a high of 50F degrees but I think it must have been warmer than that.  The red in the sky yesterday evening portended beautiful weather...red sky at night, sailor's delight...































It was warm enough by noon that I was able to shampoo outside on the deck...


























...and I read a little at the picnic table, one of my favorite places to read in warm weather...






















...and even applied makeup outside...






...then I loaded Dixie into the car and went to Nederland to check the mail.  Still no check from Sears.

It was such a pretty day I decided to drive on down to Boulder.  I went to the Boulder Housing Authority to see if they keep applicants for senior housing apprised of their status.  Unfortunately, the answer was no.  They are short staffed and can't take the time to keep the hundreds of applicants informed.  All I ascertained was that I was in a group of applicants whose paperwork had not even made it to review.  Even if my paperwork had been reviewed and I was in line for an apartment, how quickly I moved to the head of the list would depend on how many people ahead of me either accepted or declined a unit after they viewed it.  Patience is going to be required.

After that news, I decided I needed some retail therapy so drove south on Broadway to Goodwill.  Here are a couple of things I didn't get:


This piece of "Sevres" porcelain was not only chipped and cracked, but I discovered after I processed the photos it had two different price tags and the only one I saw was the one on the front for $12.99.  Had I noticed the $2.99 tag on the back I might have at least taken it the register with me to have the price checked.  I keep thinking I might try making a mosaic on a tray. 

According to the web site Antique China Porcelain & Collectibles...
Sevres Porcelain traces its roots in France to early craftsmen who had small manufacturing operations in such places as Lille, Rouen. St. Cloud, and most notably Chantilly. It is from Chantilly that a cadre of workers migrated to the Chateau de Vincennes near Paris to form a larger porcelain manufactory in 1738. French King Louis XV, perhaps inspired by his rumored relationship with mistress Madame de Pompadour, took an intense interest in porcelain and moved the operation in 1756 to even larger quarters in the Paris suburb of Sevres. Sevres was also conveniently near the home of Madame de Pompadour and the King's own Palace at Versailles.

I do not see this particular Sevres marking among those listed on line so it could be fake.
































I also did not get this length of burlap...


...for $12.99 even though I had been thinking since last fall that I wanted to enclose the bunk area with burlap.  It has become such a decorating fad that now I'm almost inclined not to go that route...and anyway, I think $12.99 is too much to pay for fabric at a thrift store.  If it's still there a week from Saturday when everything is 50% off I might consider it.

This is what I did get...

...for 99 cents less my15% senior discount.



This porcelain trivet has no markings, but there's no doubt in my mind it's Victorian.  I've read that no markings can actually mean the item is older, pre-dating the1890 McKinley Tariff Act requiring all U.S. imports to indicate "Foreign."  This was eventually amended to allow the actual country of origin. 

I also had been looking for one of these bottle spouts...


...so I could use the larger bottle in this photo...


...for dish washing soap.  Well, the small bottle with spout was $1.99...

...less the 15% daily senior discount...but the spout does not fit the larger bottle.  Darn. 

So that was it.  I headed back to Nederland, dropped Dixie off at the bookstore and came back and took a walk.  I was determined to get back over to the creek through that treacherous snow that is still drifted in between the road and the creek.  Here's a melted-out footprint.  You can see how deep it is...



I managed to navigate it and only fell once...lost my footing when I fell through the crust and grabbed for a branch that broke.  There wasn't anyone around, but I just pretended I was soaking up some high mountain rays while I lay there on my back.

It was worth it.  I got some photos of some of my favorite spots that I haven't seen since last fall...



























I decided not to try to navigate these stairs, half of which are still under deep snow....

I'm tempted to take my snow shovel next time and clear a trail or at least scoop off the soft stuff on top so it isn't so treacherous and will melt more quickly.

What did you do today?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment