Monday, March 12, 2012

Springing Forward

I recognized Daylight Savings Time today not only by "springing forward," but by taking my first walk since last fall.  I was amazed I wasn't gasping for breath the way I was when I arrived back in 2010 when I couldn't even make it to Tenth Street without resting.


I guess just living at this altitude going on two years instead of almost at sea level as I had in Phoenix for seventeen years makes a difference.  I don't think the sporadic snow shoveling probably had anything to do with it.

Of course I  had Dixie and she doesn't make very good time on three legs and I was stopping to take photos.  There was still a lot of snow back in this lot and I thought this cabin looked enticing through the trees.


I've always thought it would be interesting to publish a little book of cabin names...



















































































I love these old "elephant leg" aspen trunks...

And I thought I had icicle issues!  I wonder what this is coming from...



I didn't walk very far.  When I got to the trail that leads over to the bridge and the creek, the snow was so deep I thought I might twist a knee...


...and Dixie had gone into a yard through an open gate and couldn't find her way back out.  I wonder if she's getting senile.  She was just keening and sounded so frustrated and forlorn so I walked back the half a block or so where she was and, of course, as she walked inside the fence along with me she finally found the gate she'd gone through.  You would have thought we hadn't seen each other for months.  I think she really was afraid, and afraid I'd gone off and left her.

When we got back to the cabin, I decided it was just too nice to go back inside and Dixie loves to ride in the car so I put her in the back seat, returned a couple of books to the library and took some recyclables to the dump and then we just drove on north to a little burg called Allenspark, stopping along the way to take photos.

















































A pretty good shot, below, of the Sleeping Giant...


...you can see his forehead, eyes, nose, mouth and hands resting on his chest.

God's country.

We just made a U-turn at Allenspark and came back.  I dropped Dixie off at her owner's store in Nederland, The Blue Owl, which stocks an interesting mix of used books, coffee, ice cream and luncheon fare and some clothing and jewelry.  She was unpacking some absolutely luscious summer scarves and didn't even have the price tags on them yet.  I think I might have to have just one.

How did you spend your day?  Teddee




















No comments:

Post a Comment