Saturday, March 3, 2012

Freezing Live Gal

I heard through the grapevine while I was in Boulder today that the Frozen Dead Guy Festival was canceled because of high winds.  I can believe it.  This place has its own micro-climate. 

Last night was probably one of the coldest we've had all winter and here it is March.  I fell asleep reading with the lights on, my favorite jazz station KUVO streaming and the winds pounding.  Woke up about 1:30 p.m. and it was around 5F degrees outside.  The wind blew all night and my forehead and nose got so cold I had to put the covers over my head.  At 6:30 a.m. the outdoor thermometer was still showing 5F degrees so I don't know what the actual low was, but it was exactly 32F degrees inside the cabin.


I took these shots of blowing snow between Nederland and Eldora late this afternoon on my return trip from Boulder.  NOAA predicted winds as high as 50 mph but I think that's conservative:
 



 Sky full of blowing snow.


You can also see blowing snow in the air above and behind this, one of the few remaining, but abandoned, commercial buildings in Eldora. It was still open for business when I was a child.

The snow had really drifted into the cabin while I was gone.


This time my leftover coffee was frozen.  The temperature in the cabin was 27F degrees when I returned, and an hour later, having had the wood stove cranking the whole time, the water in the wash basin was still frozen as well.

NOAA says a low of 20F degrees tonight, but I have only about 17F degrees showing on my outdoor thermometer at 6 p.m.  Hopefully it's going to warm up during the night.

Are you living where coping with the weather is a major part of your life?  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment