Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dregs by the Pound

I'm on Goodwill's e-mail list so received an e-mail earlier in the week indicating their recycling centers, which sell merchandise by the pound, were having a 50% off Saturday today. 

I have visited one of these recycling centers in Tacoma, WA, twice when I was visiting my brother, so knew what to expect.  There are huge rolling tables, some holding bins containing breakables, toys, craft items and sporting goods.  Other tables are piled with literally tons of clothing most of which has found its way here because it's the end of the line.  I find I have little patience for sorting through the mostly chaff to find the wheat, but some people do and do it well.  I saw one young woman who had numerous clothing items, all looked in good condition, each folded as if ready to be put in a suitcase in the bottom of her cart.  Obviously a neatnik.

I took some random photos.  Here's a not bad man's leather jacket that wasn't soiled but worn to the degree that it had what I thought was a great patina. 


My brother enjoys working with leather and I was tempted to buy this for him to use for crafts but thought he probably couldn't bring himself to cut it up.  I left it displayed this way thinking it would be more likely to sell.

There were skis, boots and poles...

...and toys so scary they had even repelled soil....


...interesting laundry mistakes...

...hats...

...I think Resistol is a pretty good brand of cowboy hat...

...paintings....I really liked the canvas mat...



 
...fake claims to fame....who would know?


Here's what I bought:


This was worse than the worst jewelry box tangle you've ever encountered.  This is what I finally extricated from an electrical cord, an oven rack, a CD rack and itself.  I think it was the challenge:

I haven't bent everything true again.  I'm not sure if it's just a little wire Christmas tree or one of those greeting card holders, but I liked it.

This is probably the thing I'll get the most good out of...the scarf, not the head, which I already had.  The scarf is quite long and in shades of my favorite color or non-color...black.


I found this porcelain relish dish.  There were two, but the other was chipped.  No markings.


...and this little sauce boat and tray.  Had to get them because I found the boat in one bin on one table and the tray in another bin on another table.  No markings.


...is this milk bottle a collector's item?  I'm not sure...


A metal picture frame, glass intact as well as the little flipper things to keep everything in place.  I might put Lola's picture in this if it won't make me too sad...


 ...a tiny metal bucket...I'll think of some use...


...some computer business cards.  Two styles, 21 sheets.  I'd been wanting something just to hand out with my blog address...

and, finally, this cross-stitched tablecloth.  

I didn't realize until I was photographing it that it isn't finished!  Does anyone do cross-stitch?  These aren't my colors, but since I don't do needlework I'm always touched by how much work has gone into something like this.

You can see where her embroidery hoop was...

The underneath side.  Two sides and two corners remain unfinished.  I wonder what the story is?  Did she just get tired of working on it or did she pass on?  I think the latter.  Well, I saved all of her work from whatever awful fate was in store.

I spent a grand total of $4.65.  Every day rates are $1.49 per pound for 0-19 pounds, 99 cents per pound for 20-49 pounds and 79 cents per pound for 50 pounds and over.  One man had purchased this huge Bowflex Home Gym thing.  I wonder how much it weighed. Glassware and dishes sell regularly at 59 cents per pound and shoes at $1.49 per pound.

Did you do any salvage work this weekend?  Teddee


No comments:

Post a Comment