Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring?

It was 17F degrees on my thermometer again this morning and I think the high was 32F degrees.  It's been a beautiful sunny day but we've had a stiff breeze off and on all day.  This seems a lot less like spring than last week.





[Are we still getting those sun flares or have I been hacked?  About two hours ago KUVO stopped streaming and I wasn't able to get it back and I've been fighting now for about the last hour with Blogger trying to download my photos.  First it just wouldn't happen.  Then I sent feedback.  Now it's just sloooow...and now I can't Preview].

After my stint on the computer this morning, I did nothing but read.  Dixie and Jimmy came about 9:30 a.m.

This photo was taken last fall.  It's the only one I have of them together.  Jimmy departed but Dixie stayed and eventually she and I ended up back on the bunk and I fell asleep trying to finish this book.


Do not bother to read these Robert Ludlum books that aren't written by the now-deceased Mr. Ludlum.  Even Jimmy agrees this one is a dog.  At least they're not working for me.  I plowed my way through the second one of these, this one by Eric Van Lustbader, but won't check out another.  I've now started this Black Water Rising by a woman author named Attica Locke who doesn't write like a woman. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.


I've just read a few pages, but it's going to keep me up tonight I can tell.  It is about a struggling black attorney in 1980s Houston.  According to the dust jacket, Ms. Locke is a "screenwriter who has worked in both film and television.  A former fellow at the Sundance Institute, she is currently at work on an HBO miniseries about the civil rights movement.  A native of Houston, Texas, she lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter."  [Would someone tell me why Blogger spell check doesn't recognize Los Angeles?].
Since this seems to be a dogs-and-books blog, I've made a breakthrough with Black Dog or Macho Macho Man or, as it turns out, Apollo.  I discovered yesterday after I got back from Boulder that Macho Macho likes to chase thrown sticks.  I actually took this photo today.   I was trying to give him the stick with one hand,  focus in the bright sun and snap the photo with the other so this is a bit fuzzy.


It was obvious last night when we started this game that he was conflicted because he wouldn't bring the sticks back to me but kept carrying them east, closer and closer to his home, with me throwing and fetching.  His owner, a young man, came home from work while we were going through this exercise and I asked him what the dog's name was.  He said, "Apollo, like the boxer in Rocky."  I thought this was slightly amusing.  Why wasn't it just Apollo as in Apollo?  So I looked up all the opposing boxers in Rocky movies and found that in the first Rocky movie, which I actually saw in the theater if I recall, the opponent was a black boxer named Apollo Creed.  So then it made sense.  It was good seeing Apollo with his owner.  He was very excited when the young man arrived,  they obviously have a great relationship and he was very affectionate with the young man.  It seems that just my talking to his owner has made Apollo a little friendlier, but he still won't bring the sticks back to me.

I wanted to end with a little dog cartoon that appears on a bookmark The New Yorker sent with an invitation to subscribe, but it's obviously protected.  You'll just have to picture two dogs chatting on a city street.  The one dog says to the other, "I bit someone once. It tasted like chicken." 

How did you spend the first day of spring?  Teddee






No comments:

Post a Comment