Sunday, May 6, 2012

Getting Ready for Snow!

If NOAA is correct, we could get as much as eight inches of snow over the next couple of days....that's if we get the maximums predicted.  We set some kind of high temperature record on Friday, I think.  At least they did in Denver...87F degrees...and the aspens are leafed out, the grass is greening up nicely, the dandelions are looking perky in my neighbor's green lawn...and we're getting the snow we should have got back in March.  I think everyone is just hoping we do get some moisture.  Even though it is 50F degrees and the sun was shining at the time, we already had a little snow shower a bit ago.  My neighbor said it looked "almost magical" and I thought it looked like a movie set.  The snow seemed suspended in the air.  I tried to get a photo, but was unable to capture it.

Whatever it does, I'm set.  Dixie and I went to the spring to get water, stopping off at the post office to pick up the mail and at the library to drop off a couple of books on the way.  The library is closed on Sunday so I was pleased to find some magazines in my mail.  Gotta have my reading material.  I filled all my jugs with water...



and also stopped and picked up some pine cones on the way back. 
I had picked up "mountain driftwood" kindling on Friday when I walked, so I'm set for kindling.  

I stopped here...


...the supermarket in Nederland and got minimal groceries, a dozen eggs and some 99-cent-a-pound chicken quarters primarily for the fox.  I thought this morning when she came to eat that I saw, in addition to her tail damage, a wound in her groin area, but couldn't see well enough to be sure.  I think she was just so beat up a couple of weeks ago from this fight she'd obviously had that perhaps she couldn't hunt and that's why she started coming by for food.  I notice she's getting pickier...she really doesn't like canned cat food but had been eating it in the beginning but isn't going for it now...a good sign I think.  She'll eat cat kibble and I've started breaking a raw egg into the kibble because I noted day before yesterday that she took a whole raw egg I'd given her over into the neighbor's yard and hid it and came right back.  I have no way of knowing if she ever goes back and eats the whole eggs and she seems to really like the egg in the kibble.  The chunk cheese was on sale and I got some mild cheddar.  I was out of coffee so popped for a jar of the store brand instant.  That should hold me until the eagle flies on Wednesday.


Here are some other shots of the little shopping center in Nederland.  B&F is also home of the "famous" Mountain Burger..."...as Big as the Rockies."































There are numerous small shops and restaurants. 


I see I didn't capture Dam Liquors, which is on the far left.  Nederland is home of Barker Reservoir so there really is a dam.  Someone opened a toy store in the last several months, right next to the yoga studio...I wasn't sold on the name Voodoo Toys if it is a children's toy store.   So after you order your pizza at Backcountry Pizza, rent a video at Dog House Video, stop off at Greener Mountain for the grow light for your...tomatoes, right?...you can get a tat.  

It was the chef at The Savory Cafe who stopped in the canyon late in the evening last fall, after my car blew up following repairs at the Sears Auto Center in Longmont, and gave me a lift home...


The police station is at far right and even further right and not shown is a laundromat that I don't use because the cheapest washer is $4 a load.


Moving on to the right is a handmade carousel, housed in this building, that seems to get quite a lot of attention...


I'll go in there one of these days and take some photos of the animals which were hand carved by, I believe, a Viet Nam vet.  I'll get more of the back story when I take the photos.


To the right of this is a restaurant/coffee house/candy shop in a complex of old train cars.  I wish I had my shop in these.


































So, when I blog about shopping for groceries, this is where it happens.

When I got home, I carried in wood...


...finally filled the windshield washer in my car with the fluid I'd purchased the last time I was at Walmart and also added some coolant.  I think my car is getting so hot coming up the canyon, despite the fact that I'm turning on the heater to draw off some of the heat, that it's boiling off because I added coolant just a few weeks ago.  Don't know how much longer I can go without really getting to the bottom of that overheating problem.


It's 3 p.m. and has gotten really dark, the temperature is dropping and it is snowing again lightly.  I left Dixie in the car with the door open.  Guess I'd better get out there and see if I can convince her to come in.


Here we go...


Teddee






No comments:

Post a Comment