Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eclipsed

Do you live in an area where the solar eclipse was supposed to be visible this evening?  Did you get your eclipse glasses?  I did last week when I stopped at McGuckin Hardware, a famous independent Boulder hardware store....


They were selling them for $2 a pop at all their cash registers.  I wonder how much money they made?  Especially because it appears it is going to be so overcast the eclipse is not going to be visible.  There are a couple of hours to go.  It has been cloudy most of the day.  This is what the western sky looks like right now...

That's gray with clouds, not blue with clouds.  The sun bursts forth every once in awhile, but I just heard thunder.  I think it may be coming from the east, though.  This is what the sky looks like over the plains...
























...so we wait.  And while I'm waiting I decided to do a little light sanding on some rough areas on the secretary I brought home a week ago from the Longmont Goodwill, remove the hardware, tape off the glass in the doors...

...and settle on a paint color.  I had considered selecting something really splashy since I'd gone so dark with the interior cabin paint.  Shades of marigold are one of the "in" colors right now and I thought about a very dark hue of this color palette...

...but I kept wondering how I'd feel waking up being slammed with what would have been a very eye-catching object in this small space.  Might have been a brave choice, but I backed off and selected this shade of palomino yellow that I still like...


I have an entire shelf unit painted in a similar color in storage in Missouri.  It had been that color for almost two decades and I'd never tired of it.  This thrift store metal basket served as another "inspiration piece."  I have some dark colored paste wax (my purchase at McGuckin last week along with the eclipse shades) and I'll attempt to use that over the painted surface to get a similar antiqued effect.  The long-range forecast is either showers or breezy for all of next week, so I don't know whether I'll be able to even get the primer applied.


And the fox came to eat for the second time today but her little body is still looking the worse for wear...



She gets a cup of kibble and, most recently, after she finishes that she's helping me get rid of an entire package of pork chops that had gone off in the cooler despite the fact that I still have part of a chunk of ice in there.   

She had finished her kibble and come up on the deck for her treat here.  She really was that close...and with her eyes on the prize...what a sweet little face...


In the interim, we got a little rain shower while the sun was shining.  I thought there might be a rainbow...solar eclipse and rainbow...get out the goat entrails...but no rainbow.  So, it's 6 p.m.  According to an "eclipse calculator" I pulled off the internet, the eclipse is supposed to start a 6:22 p.m.  Right now it's hazy, but sunny, so I don't know what we might be seeing.  I'm going to try to take a photo without blinding myself.  Just point and shoot I guess or put on my eclipse glasses and see if I see anything in the viewfinder.

Well, I needn't have worried about sun blindness.  Somewhere behind this veil of clouds miracles were occurring...























I had to settle for this "painterly" shot of a smaller miracle closer to earth...























Have a wonderful week!  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment