Sunday, June 10, 2012

What to Do on a Windy Day

It did get down to 38F degrees last night and although it's sunny and exactly the 61F degrees that NOAA predicted yesterday (how do they do that?), the winds did pick up and are even higher today.  NOAA says gusts as high as 30 mph.  

Even though I abhor the wind, I spent about an hour outside this morning changing the hinges on this cabinet so it opens from the left instead of the right...


This is something I started last November!  This cabinet was one of the first things I painted when I decided to paint the interior of the cabin.  I had taken the door off, but knew I needed to get it out on the deck where I could put it on its back in order to change the hinges.  

This morning I unloaded all of the dishes and food items it was housing, cleared a path through the cabin, dragged it out onto the deck, along with its door, located the hinges and screws and then started trying to figure out how to switch the hinges.  I measured the locations of the old screw holes and marked the same holes on the opposite side, drilled pilot holes so it would be easier to screw the screws in, then started trying to determine, with my spatial limitations, which way the hinges went.  That took some time, but through trial and error--I always feel like the chimp who was failing the test--I actually got them right the first time.  Because of my arm injury I had to take the screws out three times and re-drill in order to be able to get the screws in, but I eventually prevailed.  

Once I got the cabinet out in daylight I could see that the single coat of paint I'd given it while I was listening to the football game last November needed touching up.  For some reason I'd totally skipped painting the wall behind this cabinet, so that had to be done as well.

Even though I'd wrapped my paint tray, roller and brush in plastic bags the last time I used them, it had been so long ago they had dried out.  I couldn't get the cover off the roller and have been painting with a brush.  My injured arm gets tired quickly, so part of the time I'm painting left-handed.  

I decided while I was at it to see if I wanted to paint this plywood floor the same color as the walls...




























Boy, I don't know.  I'm all for cozy, but this is almost claustrophobic.  I think I'll need at a least a slightly different color just to differentiate between the walls and the floor.


I also sanded and filled in where I'd removed this one shelf right inside the cabin door where the secretary is going once I get it painted...






















I think I'm going to have to ask my neighbor to help me get the top shelf off since I couldn't even do it when I had two good arms.  I think it will require the thinnest pry bar he owns in order to get under this and put some tension on that screw that's just going round and round.


I'm also making the ugly side table disappear, painting in situ because of the wind...


On the wildlife front, I haven't seen Vixen this morning, but she was here twice yesterday evening.  I'm always a little relieved she doesn't seem to be relying entirely on me for food.  

Poor old Valentino also came later, but got into a foot race with Jimmy who appeared out of nowhere.  It was nip and tuck, with Valentine leading Jimmy on a merry chase in, around and through these aspens next door...



...with me yelling at Jimmy to stop and holding my breath the fox would win.  My own Belmont Stakes.  Valentino won, but I think it was a close enough call he also wasn't saying I'll Have Another. I don't think he ever returned to eat.

I also had a visit from the bear about 11 o'clock last night.  I was just sleeping good when I heard it pulling at the firewood access door on the east side of the woodshed and pulling and pulling and pulling, then moving over to the one hummingbird feeder I still have up on the east side of the cabin and trying, unsuccessfully to pull it down.  It sounds very large when it's moving around outside and walking on the deck.  I still have never been able to see it out the window and wish I had the nerve to go out with my camera, but figure one accident per summer is probably enough and I don't need to add bear wounds to those I already have!  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment