Friday, June 1, 2012

Thanks Again, Walmart

Although I think Sam Walton's children have too much money and Walmart employees don't have enough, I'm hard pressed, as a Walmart customer, to find much to complain about.  

Yesterday I pulled together, for return, all the bits and pieces of a double curtain rod I had purchased several weeks ago at Walmart thinking it was exactly what I needed for the draperies I have planned for the bunk beds here in the cabin.  I'd even spotted it in April and waited until I got my May Social Security check to buy it because it wasn't inexpensive.  

Yes, I knew it was intended for wall mounting, but with my usual spatial deficiencies, I could not visualize, until I got it out of the packaging and tried it, that ceiling mounting simply wouldn't work.  Both curtains would have been on the same plane instead of one behind the other!  

It was packaged in that really hard shell-like plastic and I absolutely had to cut the packaging into shreds in order to access it.  There were two rods, three supports and all the plugs and screws necessary for mounting.  I wouldn't have been surprised if they had refused to accept it for return even though I had my receipt, but when I drove it back to the Longmont Walmart and took it to customer service, they didn't blink an eye and gave me cash back.  

I also noted, and heard one of the Customer Service clerks comment to that effect, that they're no longer waylaying people coming back into the store with merchandise for return and marking it.  I stood around at the entrance for a bit waiting for someone to descend on me with the familiar stickers, and finally gave up and walked the curtain rod, cut up packaging and zip-lock baggie full of bits and pieces to Customer Service unchallenged.  That was a plus.

Although there were numerous items I needed, I knew I could easily have spent my entire refund, so went for the critical things....a broasted chicken to keep me and the foxes in protein and...some cover-up for my black eye.  The bruising is drifting south.  My dark glasses no longer cover it and I'm tired of trying to see inside in dark glasses and of getting those looks.  I had stopped at Walgreens and they had nothing...pancake make-up seems to be a thing of the past...but Walmart had this terrific cover-up...


I'll tell you, if they sold this in those five-gallon white spackle pails, I'd start using it on my entire body!


Here's my eye as of today with no make-up...

...here it is with my regular make-up base...

...and here it is with Glamoflauge...

I think it's a lot better.  At least it makes me feel less self-conscious even though that lump above my eyebrow doesn't seem to be getting any smaller and is still numb.


This was a really busy day.  It was warm and sunny, but too windy to paint, so I decided to put the oil cloth on the very weathered wooden picnic table and benches...



I was able to do this, tipping the table over on its head, cutting out the oil cloth and affixing it to the furniture, using the electric stapler, without pain to my injured arm, but by the time I got to the last bench, I noticed that my right arm muscles were trembling and not really obeying brain signals very well.


So I was ready to call it a day, then my neighbor, working with another resident whom I didn't know, came and took the old hide-a-bed away for the free Nederland trash pick-up tomorrow.  I suffered blog fog and forgot to take a picture of it riding away in the back of the pick-up with a bunch of other junk.  Then, he and his wife decided they were ready to take some of the free furniture they are cleaning out of these other cabins down to my apartment.  

Here is the chest of drawers, which the previous owner obviously had started to paint or prime, sitting on my neighbors' patio waiting to be loaded into the truck...


The hardware came with it, but I may eventually opt for something else.

I had loaded my car earlier in the day with stuff to take to the apartment and also needed to take my June rent down, so I led the way to the apartment building, and after my neighbors ran an errand, they returned and unloaded everything and put together the computer desk...


...I've even managed to get a television set out of this although I've been without T.V. for so long now I'm not sure I want to get back in the habit, and the apartment is right across from the Boulder Library.

Yesterday when I was in Longmont I stopped at Goodwill and was unusually sensible and disciplined in my shopping.  I saw four engraved water goblets in that color of glass I love...bronze? champagne?  They were $2 each and I thought, I can get 1.5 Cheap Chickens on Wednesdays for that, so passed them up.  Instead, I got a small bathroom waste basket and one of these shower caddies...

...you can see I just ripped the purple tag off of it, hung it over the shower head and I can't tell you what a thrill it was, after two years, to be able to hang up my bath brush...yes, it's actually a clothes brush but the bristles on the brushes usually sold for the bath are way too soft for me...and my wash cloth and to put my soap and shampoo in place.  I hope whoever patented these caddies got rich...they sure are useful.  I had seen a very snazzy chrome version at Goodwill in Boulder a couple of months ago, but didn't know if or when I'd get an apartment so didn't buy it.  Now I'm sorry I didn't nab it. 

My neighbors headed on back to Eldora and I stayed and had a shower then drove back.  Vixen was waiting for me...relaxing in the in the yard.  She ate and took off, and I just looked out the west window and saw this wonderful sky...


red sky at night sailor's delight...so had to get a quick shot.  When I opened the door, Valentino was waiting for chicken, so he's been fed too.  All's right with the world and I am exhausted and heading for bed.  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment