Saturday, June 16, 2012

Uh! Oh!

I spent much of the morning outside on the deck finishing painting the secretary and hutch.  I tackled the cubbyholes in the secretary... 


Not easy to get your hand back in these areas and I'm not totally pleased with the job I did, but I decided, once again, it wasn't anything anyone was going to notice but me.  

I'd sanded some places down on the hutch after I'd painted it the other day and wanted to give those areas another coat so did that.  Everything was looking good.  This evening I decided it was time to take the paper and tape off the glass in the doors of the hutch...

...still looking pretty good.  Tape didn't hold perfectly and I'll need to get my craft knife out and do a little scraping and there are some places on the wood that I'll need to touch up with a small paint brush.  No problem.  I was so excited I was already styling the inside of this hutch!

What I hadn't considered was that nice little arched inset...

 ...is not replicated on the inside.  So when I removed the paper and tape from the inside...


Oh, yuck!  I'm now seeing the unpainted back of said inset!  Paint has bled back underneath it and there's even a bit of blue painter's tape in between the glass and the wood!

Before I started painting this piece I noticed the little rubber stoppers and realized they were designed to secure the glass, but made the decision to leave the glass in place and tape it off thinking it would be safer than removing it.  Yes, yes, I know.  When I was prepping the inside of these doors I taped right over this, but it didn't register.  I'll blame it on my head injury!


I removed the stoppers on the left door and tried to remove the glass.  No go.  It's painted solidly in.  The one on the right has a little give. 


Here's my plan.  I'm going to go ahead and clean up the front glass using the edge of my craft knife and perhaps this will end up loosening the glass.  If it doesn't, I don't think I'm going to run my blade down between the wood and the glass for fear I'll apply too much pressure on the glass and break it.  Instead, I think I'll get some glass paint and paint around the edge of the glass on the inside of the doors to cover up the dark brown.  I wonder if heat from a hair dryer might make loosen the paint?  All suggestions welcome. 

One good thing...My neighbor was able to get this top shelf off for me today so I filled and sanded the wall behind it...


...and can now finish painting this area so when I do get the secretary finished to my satisfaction, it has a home.  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment