Friday, August 31, 2012

Everyday Mountain Chores

When I was at the cabin last weekend, I tried to remember to take some photos of just the everyday chores one does in this rustic environment.  If you've followed my blog for some time, much of this will not be new.  

One of the first things I did was make up a pan of sugar syrup for the hummingbirds.  It took them a couple of days to realize the feeder was full again.  I really hate the fact that I'm not there full time now to keep it filled consistently.



I took these through the screen.  This is old screen wire and I can still capture an image through it.  I've noticed that the new screens prevent this.  There only seemed to be a couple of hummingbirds feeding.  I know it's recommended that we stop feeding on Labor Day to encourage them to move on so they don't get caught in an early freak storm.

I drove to the spring to fill the water jugs on Friday afternoon late...




...I didn't want to wait until Saturday and get caught in the bicycle race traffic.  Stage 6 of the 2012 USA Pro Challenge had invaded both Boulder and Nederland and it was one reason I decided to just get out of Boulder as it appeared the race would have the town in lockdown for much of Saturday and I knew the road through Nederland would be totally blocked for whatever period of time it would take the racers to clear the town.  In addition, Nederland was having a music festival, which would have made traffic bad enough.

I put off doing dishes until Monday, the day before I left, because I was busy doing other, more fun, things.  Luckily it was a nice day, not raining, so I was able to move the entire operation out on the picnic table where I had plenty of space and could wash, rinse, drain and splash at will...


It was a lovely setting...the ox-eye daisies, which I've discovered are considered a noxious weed!, were still beautiful although I could see they were starting to fade and probably would be gone the next time I came up...


I also took the time to thoroughly clean this little electric hot plate...


(Note the animal path in the grass)

I needed all my tools, an old toothbrush, SOS pad and a cleaning rag and hot soapy water, to get this job accomplished and I thought I'd been pretty good about wiping it off every time I did dishes.  If we ever need to replace this I'm going to see if they make them so you can remove the heating elements.  It would sure make the task easier.

Also had a brief visit from Dixie, but didn't get her photo before her owner's boyfriend came in search of her.  They had promised not to let her run loose, since he was openly resentful about having to pick her up every evening during the winter.  I guess they hadn't realized I was in residence.  Anyway it was good to see her, and Jimmy came shortly thereafter and had some kibble...


I had got brown paint on this little stool when I was painting the inside of the cabin so took the time to sand the top down and spray it white...


...I've discovered that if I put the small items I'm painting inside a cardboard box I don't have to put down a tarp or drop cloth or a plastic bag to protect the surrounding area.

And I hung this little plaque, which I'd found thrifting at some point, above the south window...




It's made of plaster, so I hope I got it up there securely enough that when the cabin starts shifting in the winter winds, it stays put.

That's about it.  I did capture one dramatic western sky at sunset...























So, goodbye for now, little cabin...

I'm sorry to leave you alone.  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment