Sunday, October 21, 2012

Happy Feet

I've been trying to determine why I'm particularly happy when I'm at the cabin.  Some of my friends think I should be happier in the apartment in Boulder where I have ample hot running water at the twist of a faucet, a flush toilet, room heat at the touch of a thermostat and a maintenance staff on call to handle any repair.  And when I read the foregoing sentence, their opinion seems sensible.

So what's behind my preference?  I know I enjoy being closer to the elements, even though I could and did get very tired of the high and incessant winds in Eldora that blow down the chimney of the wood stove and spread ashes over the cook top even with the draft closed.  This is what the stove top looked like after I'd been away for several weeks...

But I love the vistas that allow me to keep an eye on the clouds building up on the Great Divide, wondering what they hold in store...

It looks like snow...

















It smells like snow...



The crows agree...


And what do I need to do to prepare for a possible storm and colder temperatures?


I also love the solitude and not having the neurotic resident who lives below me calling up indicating she's analyzed a sound she's been hearing in the night and she has definitely identified it as being a humidifier...yes, a humidifier...in my apartment (don't have a humidifier...or any other appliance running at night)...and would I please put something under it to buffer the noise it's making, and, oh, by the way, a digital alarm clock went off at 5 a.m. and continued to beep for a long period of time and woke her up and undoubtedly I've gone off to the cabin and left it on (no, I hadn't and no, I didn't) and would I please make sure it's turned off, etc., etc.  This is the same resident who knocked on my door a couple of months ago holding a bowl and spoon and said another resident had suggested she should come and look at the way I'd decorated my apartment and when I shrugged and said, "Come on in and knock your socks off," she proceeded to wander around, with bowl and spoon, as if she were begging rice in an art gallery, ending up in the bathroom where she decided a mirror wasn't hanging straight and spent about ten minutes putting at least five nail holes in the space of a pencil eraser trying to right this wrong.  So, yes, I prefer being buffered from the neurotics who, unlike those residents who are actually on meds, should be.

Whatever the reasons, I found myself lighthearted enough during my last visit to the cabin that I was taking breaks from my chores while I was as the cabin earlier in the week to....dance.  

There is a section of floor about three feet by three feet with no rug..



























In between stuffing these plastic bags (back) in around the windows...
































Trying, unsuccessfully, to make the front door air tight with weather stripping...



...ah, monkey do, monkey see it's on the wrong surface!  Good thing it's not sticking...

...transferring all of the tools and DYI stuff from two smaller plastic storage boxes into one larger storage box that my sister and I had managed to empty of useless items we donated to Savers in September...


...and storing it back under the bunk...

































...cleaning fall flies off the windows, Windexing the mirrors and dusting, I intermittently stopped to dance to the music on an old The Big Band Era tape, The Passing of an Era, I was playing on an equally old clock radio tape deck...

I fox trotted to Count Basie playing Fiesta in Blue and members of the Les Brown Orchestra playing I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, soft shoed to Lawrence Welk playing Chasing Rainbows...


...and quick stepped (sort of) to members of the Benny Goodman Orchestra playing I Found a New Baby and After You've Gone.  Next time I'll remember to pack the stillettos and stockings (with seams).  And, guys, if that and Dancing With the Stars isn't enough to get you into dance class, let me tell you, a little chocolate and Glenn Miller playing Blue Champagne or Dick Haymes (Much better than Sinatra.  Wonder why he didn't endure?) singing This Time the Dream's on Me...mmm!  mmm!

I had a blast.  Dancing on the cabin floor is like dancing on a snare drum.  I felt like Ann Miller on the soup can.  And if you're too young to remember those T.V. commercials, ask your mother.  And if she's too young to remember Ann Miller, ask your grandmother...or just watch this...



Now that would give that woman downstairs something to squawk about!  Teddee

No comments:

Post a Comment