Sunday, July 29, 2012

Finally the Fun Stuff





I'm finally doing some of the fun decorating stuff at the cabin.  I got these vintage (and huge) snowshoes...





























...that I found at Savers several months ago hung in the only place they'd fit, up behind the wood stove chimney.  They are 48 inches long.  No wonder snow shoeing was once considered a real challenge.  Here's a shot of some of the newest snowshoes.  


 snowshoes

They've come a long way!


I also got this great clock hung that I've also been holding for several months.  I think I may have found this at the Goodwill in Longmont...

It's double sided and huge for the space and is sort of a joke because the last time my sister was out here she was complaining she couldn't see the clock!  I'm actually loving it, but sure wish I had had someone here to hold the sucker while I was getting those screws in.  It's heavy and my arm was complaining, but I prevailed.

Let's see, what else...This hide-a-bed, which my sister brought out and says is really comfortable, is covered in a white floral fabric that's been grating on me ever since it appeared.  A country cottage perhaps, the seashore maybe, but not this rustic mountain cabin.  This covering is just makeshift since the first time anyone opens the hide-a-bed to sleep on it, it will necessitate removing this fabric, but I just had to see what it would look like.  I had bought this fabric at a Savers for $5.99 and I actually think I bought it while I was still living in Phoenix.  I wish I could afford to have the hide-a-bed reupholstered, but this is going to have to do for now...


























I am so in love with this fabric...the elk...


























...and the pine cone and acorn motifs...


























and this pillow, another Phoenix find, I've had for years just waiting for the perfect spot...

...it looks and feels like oil on canvas.  I found this in a bag with some other pillows two winters ago when I returned to Phoenix to try to clean out the three storage units I (still) have there and brought it back with me.  This is why I can't just close these storage units down without going through everything first.

I made these curtain tie-back rosettes last week at the apartment and brought them up with me....


They were fun and easy to make.  I just tore strips of the curtain fabric about three inches wide and 36 inches long, folded the strips in half lengthways then turned them and coiled them, hot gluing as I went to hard cardboard circles.  I had spray painted the clothes pins black and glued the rosettes to the clip clothes pins.  Now I have rosette tie backs instead of just clothes pins.

I also hung this wooden "Welcome to the Mountains" plaque that I found in my storage unit...

 ...and this welcome pineapple cone...

...on the side of the secretary/hutch.  Yep.  Nailed 'em right in there.  I've done this to most of my case goods over the years and really like the effect, but guess it's a good thing I don't have really high-end furniture!

This morning I hung this cute Bear Crossing sign, another Savers find...

 
...just around the southeast corner of the cabin where the bear had actually been crossing earlier in the spring. So that's some of what I've been doing since I arrived at the cabin on Friday.  

Since this will be my last blog for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd also throw in what I'd done to my bedroom at the apartment.  I had some fun with it.  I decided to put the old steamer trunk in that room against the north wall...

 
I've been looking for months for a lampshade just like the one in the photo that's just a bit larger...


I just love the way this marabou fringe moves in the draft from the air conditioner.  I have several of these little folding pastry stands, but the others are in storage in other states.  I like the rusty patina of this one and am using it to display a candle and two little similarly colored lamp chimneys...


This urn was looking for a home and seems to fit here after I raised it in height by putting it on a book.  I loaded it with some outsized rusty looking keys and a rusty metal cone...


The metal stag head fit in this little metal bird feeder, which also is holding some colorful hat pins and that strange-looking thing on the left is a small scrying ball.


I also was able to pair up a beautiful bird cage that had been out on the balcony with a little inexpensive crystal-clad chandelier, an antler bowl I believe I bought at the Orange Tree gift shop in Mesa, Arizona, and a ceramic dove...


...I just love the patterns this throws on the walls.  I've been turning this and the little lamp with the marabou trimmed red lampshade on...

 and everything else off when I go to bed just to enjoy the lights.


I also threw this beautiful piece of fabric...


another Phoenix find that I'd uncovered in storage two years ago and brought back to Colorado with me, over the bedroom window and the light coming through this is an added delight.


Makin' it mine.


Stay tuned, Teddee


No comments:

Post a Comment